210ANI_WK5_Taylor Read

In the latest class session I learnt that I could have dodged a whole lot of work if I had only learnt about making faces, all done by creating the vertexes and when they link up it creates a face. Originally what I had done is create a rectangular plane with a high poly count and shape it into body parts or faces. Which again was made easier when I learnt that backspace could delete the vertexes and leave the face, both lessons of face making and backspace deleting vertexes were taught to me by Ayden. It is great to have him on the team, he had taught these things quickly.

These lessons were applied by assigning an image to a plane and just going off what Ayden taught me by building the characters shape over the top of the image on the plane. What I need to keep in mind for the creation of the evil fairy is sharpness, she needs to look intimidating and bad ass. Maybe I should just keep a big mood board of Tim Burton art next to me for this, I can very much see some of that early in the film footage of Jack Skeleton as the Pumpkin King  from The Nightmare Before Christmas.

References :

RPGCLASSICS. (2006). Characters. Retrieved from http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/ps2/kingdomhearts/characters.shtml

Wikia. (n.d.). Pumpkin King – The Nightmare Before Christmas. Retrieved from http://the-nightmare-before-christmas.wikia.com/wiki/Pumpkin_King

The Nightmare Before Christmas [Motion picture]. (1993). Disney.


210ANI_WK4_Taylor Read

Currently I am working on creating characters in 3DS MAX, first off I looked at creating the fairy which later I traded as a task with Carly so I could work on the villain. Reason being that I showed a greater suitability to creating sharp features which did not really suit the fairies intended design, instead of looking gentle it had become “badass” as Jonathan the lecturer had commented.

What I had done to create this character began with high poly count planes that I clipped at and stretched into circles. Each of the circles would help me to build the head, torso and the limbs. The skirt and wings began as rectangular planes. The skirt had a simple bit of fashioning to it by shrinking down strands of the skirt as copies to apply booleans onto and made asymmetrical to make it a bit active.

The wings I tried giving a good pattern like a nice butterfly wing, only I ended up with lightning shapes and sharp triangular content. Which extremely differs from the gentle nature of this character. So I am getting started on the villain and seeing if I can make her look badass instead.
I am going to go about a similar process as the fairy, I will try and invest in making the villain as maneuverable as it takes to get her like the animatic. Which very much requires multiple versions to best suit the scenes.